By General Crafts Contributor Sammy from the blog Seriously, Sammy?!
Valentine’s Day is the perfect opportunity to let your loved ones know that you care about them. They can be your friends, siblings, and of course your significant other. What better way to say “I love you” with these heartfelt, thoughtful photo magnets. If you want to make them into a dual purpose (ornament and magnet) you can do that too!
Here’s what you need:
- A handy dandy 3 inch circle punch
- Photos printed on high quality paper (I would not recommend card stock as regular stock is much easier and flexible to work with the Mod Podge)
- Mod Podge (Gloss Lustre Sealer)
- Mod Podge Dimensional Magic (this is optional…though I love it because it adds dimension and gloss) from Create for Less
- Wide Mouth (3 inch) canning/ mason jar lids only -I find that this size works out best
- Paint Brush(es)
- Glue gun glue sticks (be sure to read the fine print and buy the glue sticks that are good for metal)
- Bakers twine (cut and tied into pieces of about 3 inches in length). You don’t need to use twine and can use any type of ribbon, fish string or hook. This serves and the ornament hook and I like how the twine looks. –This is only needed if you want to make this magnet into an ornament too.
- Your preferred packaging method…Ideas include: satchel pouch bags, boxes, etc.
Gather photos and print them. Ensure that that they fit into a 3″ circular frame. –I “borrowed” the photos off of my recipients’ social media accounts which add to the surprise and fun! It also eliminates a lot of the thinking since people typically share and post only their favorite photos.
Cut the photos into a 3″ photo. I use my circle puncher. However, scissors work just as well.
Get your wide mouth canning lid, flip it so that the brown circle faces you and using your brush, apply a thin layer of mod podge sealer on to the circle.
Apply the photo from step #2 on to the mod podge sealer you just applied
Apply another thin layer over the photo and get rid of any bubbles
Allow to dry (I give it a full hour +)
Once dried, apply Mod Podge Dimensional Magic (again, eliminate all bubbles). This part is totally optional, but I like it because it gives it dimension and gloss. Allow to dry (I give it another full hour +)
Once dried, flip over the lid. Using your glue gun, apply the twine in the center position. Apply the glue over the twine. If you don’t want this to be an ornament, you can skip this step and it can be a magnet only.
Apply the magnet over the glue, allow to dry (about 15 minutes). If you don’t want it to be a magnet, you can skip this step and it can be a coaster…endless options!!! Also, you technically don’t have to glue on the magnet, since it will stick on to the metal lid.
Package into your preferred method. I decided on a box with a label I made. I also think pouch bags or simple ribbons are very good…you can check out CreateForLess for great, affordable packaging and decor supplies…I love that place!
Personalized Ornaments/ Magnets make for a wonderful keepsake Valentine’s Day gift.